Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Chapel (Comox)
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart CWL Council
The CWL organization is the voice of Catholic women expressing their values and promoting dignity and justice for all.
The CWL gives its members the opportunity to serve God and Canada; it is a gift of faith, friendship and support.
We invite all women to join us, to share their gifts and help us to make a difference.
Executive meetings occur on the 2nd Friday of the month from 1300-1500 hrs. The General meetings occur every 3rd Friday of the month from 1300-1500 hrs. Meetings are held at the Rose Annex
Our goal for 2015-16 is to assist the parish in all its undertakings and to support local charities.
For more info you can contact the president; Bonnie Gillis via e-mail —–firstname.lastname@example.org
A Brief History of the Catholic Women’s League of Canada at 19 Wing Comox 1961-2013
The Catholic Women’s League of Canada, Victoria Diocese, had already been formed in Courtenay in 1948. A small contingent of Military wives was invited to observe and learn about “The League.” The Council of Esquimalt had already chosen the name “Our Lady of the Seaways” so not to be outdone, the Comox Council chose the name “Our Lady of the Airways” 1961, the newly formed council chose Mrs. M. Comar, President, with Father F. Bourque, Spiritual Director. During this time in Comox, the Altar Guild Society provided volunteer service for the care of linens and general upkeep of God’s House. These ladies later became CWL members, some of whom are active in our chapel today.
There was, at that time; no such thing as a council for The Military, but that would all come about later when the late Father White of Orillia, Ontario coaxed the military wives to start their own council for Military wives, with promises of free transportation on Military flights to attend conventions as members of the Military Vicariate. Thus began the association of civilian and military councils, with the Military Bishop and help of the Spiritual Advisors. Mrs Eileen Vivian was named the first President of the Orillia Council and when posted to Comox, worked with the Altar Guild Society. She was a member of our council and active in our chapel until her passing.
Our Lady of The Airways Council supported the local community at Well Baby clinics, blood donor clinics as well as running the canteen at the AMU on Base. Rocking Chair A-Thons, pancake breakfasts, raffles and bazaars provided necessary funding for charities. Our Thrift Shop moved from temporary quarters in the former Military Police building, to the community Center, and would finally utilize an entire PMQ, where the Military Family Resource Centre is located. Our longest consecutive running charity started over 47 years ago, to visit seniors at Glacier View Lodge.
“The Golden Girls” met monthly for bingo and social at Laurel Lodge in Courtenay.
Our Comox Council has been privileged to have hosted conventions for The Military Vicariate in 1979 and 1984, and the Military Ordinariate Provincial Convention in 1992 and 2004. Our Council changed its name in 1991 to reflect the name of our chapel. The Council was renamed “Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Council 19 Wing Comox.”
Today we are still standing strong at 36 members to date and celebrating our 50th anniversary.
Our members are our greatest treasures, who share a history of Service to God and Canada in Civilian Provincial, National and Military Ordinariate Councils. Our founding member, Mrs. Ruth Hazlett, went on to become President of B.C. and Yukon, and Joan Chesser Military Ordinariate President went on to became the CWL National President. Today we look back with pride and look forward to a future not yet written.